Historic Woolsey Church


“These historic rural churches of Georgia are a vital part of who we are and how we got here. Most of
them are still there, on lonely back roads or in rural villages–some of which
have virtually disappeared. They should be treasured and preserved for future generations." 
– Sonny Seals and George Hart, Historic Rural Churches of Georgia


Harmony Grove Missionary Baptist Church, began on August 26, 1888, in Woolsey, Georgia, with twenty-three charter members, in a little store on the east side of the Southern Railroad. Dr. I. G. Woolsey served as its first pastor. A building committee, appointed on October 6, 1888, oversaw the building of the church which was 36' x 50'. The church members held a dedication service on March 3, 1889.

On October 2, 1904, Harmony Grove Baptist Church changed its name to Woolsey Baptist Church. The steeple was removed in 1947 when a storm damaged it. In 1950, the church members replaced the two separate doors with a centered double door, and in 1952 classrooms were added across the back. In 1963, the church added the fellowship hall/annex. To prevent confusion with the newer Woolsey Baptist Church, the original is now called Historic Woolsey Church.


The 1.5-acre property includes Historic Woolsey Church, built in 1889, the Annex, and the adjacent cemetery established in the 1830s. Together, these resources along with the grounds remain important landmarks within the town of Woolsey. Current restoration efforts follow historic preservation best practices, including the protection and maintenance of the property’s historic landscape features. Although Historic Woolsey Church is not currently listed on the Georgia or National Register of Historic Places, the property is eligible for consideration based on its age, architectural character, and historical importance to the Woolsey community.

Charter Members of Charter members of the church. Courtesy of Woolsey Baptist Church.
Historical photo showing early proof of the church steeple. From the Bobby Jackson Collection
Members of the McLean family circa 1913. From the Linda Blum-Barton Collection
Early photo of Historic Woolsey Church. Courtesy of Fayette County Historical Society
Group portrait of church members. Courtesy of Fayette County Historical Society
Children at the church with a young Ferrol Sams. Courtesy of Fayette County Historical Society
Dick McLean with his dogs at the church. Courtesy of Fayette County Historical Society
John and Grace near historic church. Courtesy of Fayette County Historical
1950 front view of church. Courtesy of Linda Blum-Barton
1950 side view of church. Courtesy of Linda Blum-Barton
Another 1950 view of the church. From the Bobby Jackson Collection
Rev. Gilstrap inside the church. Courtesy of Sylvia Schell
Inside Church Courtesy of Sylvia Schell
Congregation inside the church. Courtesy of Sylvia Schell
1960s view of the church. Courtesy of Woolsey Baptist Church
1950 Aerial View of Woolsey. Courtesy of Sylvia Schell
Church members next to church. Courtesy of 
Fayette County Historical Society
Girls with hats outside the church. Courtesy of 
Fayette County Historical Society
Outside standing next to church. Courtesy of 
Fayette County Historical Society
Rev. W. W. Arnold, Ford, and Grindle at the church. Courtesy of 
Fayette County Historical Society