Historic Woolsey Church
Jul 22, 2026 by FRIENDS OF HISTORIC WOOLSEY
On August 26, 1888, Harmony Grove Missionary Baptist Church began with twenty-three charter members gathering in a small store on the east side of the Southern Railroad in Woolsey, Georgia.
Led by Dr. Isaac Gray Woolsey, the congregation built a permanent sanctuary that was dedicated on March 3, 1889. On October 2, 1904, Harmony Grove Missionary Baptist Church officially became Woolsey Baptist Church. For more than 137 years, these historic walls have witnessed generations of families worshiping, celebrating milestones, and creating memories that became part of Woolsey’s story.
In 2023, Friends of Historic Woolsey adopted the name Historic Woolsey Church to honor the original 1889 sanctuary, preserve its connection to the community’s past, and prevent confusion with the newer Woolsey Baptist Church.
Today, restoration efforts continue to protect this treasured landmark, not only as a historic building, but as a tribute to the stories, traditions, and memories of the generations who built it, loved it, and made it part of Woolsey’s history.
.jpg)